Sunday, November 7, 2010

Evaleigh's Hungry Caterpillar Birthday Party

Evaleigh turned one on September 4, and her party was on September 5. I wrote this post a while ago but it keep getting an error. Finally today I copied the whole thing into a word document and copied and pasted and it worked!

For Evaleigh's first birthday we had a Very Hungry Cater
pillar themed party!
We followed the book for the
menu and decorated the room based on the book.
This was her invitation. I also ordered cupcake toppers from the same person.
Joel's mom helped me to
decide on The Very Hungry Caterpillar as a theme and my friend Mary helped with most of the party ideas. I also looked here for inspiration (number 81 is The Very Hungry Caterpillar theme).

It was a lot of work and we
didn't get everything done, but it still turned out great! I read the book when everyone was there because most of the food had to do with the book.

This was our menu (with quotes from the book):

In the light of the moon a

little egg lay on a leaf.

We had hard-cooked eggs on lettuce (didn't have time to make deviled eggs).


On Monday through Friday, he ate through one apple, two pears, three plums, four strawberries, and five oranges.But he was still hungry.

(We paraphrased these next few pages into one sentence since it was all one dish).
We had a fruit salad with apples, pears, plums, strawberries, and oranges for the part of the book where he ate through all the fruit.



The next part of the book says,

On Saturday, he ate through one piece of chocolate cake, one ice-cream cone, one pickle, one slice of Swiss cheese,one slice of salami, one lollipop, one piece of cherry pie, one sausage, one cupcake,

and one slice of watermelon.

We had brownies for the chocolate cake, the ice cream was in the punch, we had a dish of pickles, there were cheese and salami rolls (we used provolone and american), the lollipops were on the tables, cherry tarts, tofurky (italian sausage flavor) with mozzarella balls and mushrooms, cupcakes were with the cake, and a plate of watermelon.









The next day was Sunday again.

The caterpillar ate through one nice

green leaf, and after that

he felt much better.

We had a big green salad with toppings (cranberries, croutons, walnuts, almonds) and dressings.




We also added mini burgers (we left the bean burgers on home by accident!), hummus with carrots, bell peppers, and chips, and salsa with chips.





The bulletin board pieces kept falling off the wall!

For her cake I used a recipe here and I bought the book! (I think it's my favorite baby and toddler cook book.) I thought the cake was pretty good! The icing was cream cheese, organic vanilla yogurt, and some natural raspberry jelly. I think Evaleigh liked the raspberries the best.




The cupcakes were used from a recipe called

Baby Turns 1 cake from a really awesome website! It uses brown sugar so it's a little sweeter.

We used a digital frame to show pictures from her first year.








This is where I got all the decorations:
-I already mentioned that I got the invitations and cupcake toppers from design dream. I also found really cute invitations on kodak but they were more expensive and took too long to get to me and I'd still have to mail them out. Maybe a good idea if I had more time and money.

-I bought a 2-inch scalloped cutter and a 1 1/2 inch circle cutter on amazon.

-I found great party favors and ideas at the Eric Carle Museum website, but shipping was so expensive! I ended up getting ideas and then buying everything somewhere else.

-I got an Eric Carle party kit on amazon. I got mine for really cheap by looking at the other sellers.

-I got the border and bulletin board set from Carson Dellosa. I also got some birthday stickers here.

- I bought bubbles at Walmart and glued the cupcake toppers on to match the theme. I also bought twisty straws.

-I reused baby food jars by hot gluing a ribbon around them and gluing on a circle from the cupcake toppers. Inside I put jellybeans and lollipops. I bought washable markers, crayons (big and regular), and colored pencils to put in cups on the tables.

-I printed a coloring page for people to color from the Eric Carle website. I found other activities by searching online but I didn't use them. This and this looked great but I didn't use them for the party.

-I bought fabric from Fat Quarter Shop. The link is for all Eric Carle fabrics.

-We got balloons at a local party shop. We had some made into a caterpillar and others made into butterflies.


She loved opening presents!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Very cute! I am glad Frost Me/Party Frosting! helped inspire you!

hugs! Kim @ Party Frosting!
party inspiration

Ohana Miles said...

Excellent job!!! Great ideas.