Wednesday, February 3, 2010

Homemade Baby Food

I had a few sweet potatoes that I got on sale for a little while that I wanted to make into baby food. She'll be eating solids in about a month so instead of letting them go bad I thought I'd try my hand at making baby food. It was so much fun I can't wait to do it again!

First I washed and peeled the sweet potatoes (I read it's best to steam them and then peel them to get the most nutrients, but my recipe said to peel first).



Then I sliced them up and put them in the steamer basket. I put a little over a cup of water into the pot, boiled it, then simmered with the lid on.



I kept checking to make sure there was water in the pot and kept sticking a fork in the potatoes to see when they were soft.



When they were mushy I put hem in the blender with the water from the pot (full of nutrients!) and blended and pureed until all the lumps were gone. I had to add a little more water a few times.



Then I filled the trays. It had a wonderful texture!



Three sweet potatoes filled 4 trays!


Then I put the trays in the freezer overnight.




The next morning I had 48 cubes of sweet potato baby food!



I put them in a bag with a sweet potato label and the date, ready to be thawed and served! The bigger cubes are about an ounce of food.

I can't wait to make more flavors with all kinds of fruits and veggies! But I better wait, she doesn't even eat solids yet...

1 comment:

Esther said...

My favorite part is, "It had a wonderful texture!" Looks fun!